Saturday, August 25, 2012

Hiking to Heather Lake

About a week ago I decided I was just going to get out and hike, even if no one else could go with me. James is an awesome husband to let me get up early on Saturday and abandon him and Evie for the morning to go hiking solo. I decided to go to Heather Lake this morning and I'm so glad I did!! It was a perfect morning for a hike, not a cloud in the sky and cool crisp almost Autumn air. I slept in a little and got started late. I would have preferred to get up at 6 and head out but I slept until 7. I still made it to the trailhead by 8:30 and started out. Good thing I did because it got busy shortly after that. It was so pleasant hiking all by myself listening to the birds and my ipod. I was really suprised how quickly I got up to the lake. It was a 2 mile hike up and alot of it was switchbacks. It was so hard! I know I'm going to sleep well tonight. The hike was totally worth it though when I got up to the lake.


My first view of the lake


I loved these big boulders sitting in the middle of the marshy part of the lake. You can just imagine them crashing down from the mountain behind the lake.


These trees showed where the snow reaches to in the winter. At least 10 feet up!


Absolutely gorgeous sky!


This little guy is a Pika. He was gathering plants to line his den for winter. He was not very afraid of me.

 

Some mountain lilies. There were tons of wildflowers and ripe huckleberries at the lake.


Still some snow in August!!


Idyllic

There were several people camping up there. I found lots of nice camping spots. James and I are already planning on backpacking to Heather Lake before the summer's over.

0 comments: