Monday, August 13, 2012

Evie's First Camping Trip

This was the best weekend of the summer! We last minute decided to go camping this weekend. So, James took Monday off work (so nice to have vacation days to spare after saving for New Zealand for years). We booked a site in South Whidbey Island State Park which was just a 45 minute drive from our house including the ferry ride across the Sound. We decided to camp Sunday night to beat more of the crowds and I think it was a fabulous idea! It seems more families with little kids do this as well because the whole campground was full of children. I'll just caption the pictures to tell the story

 Our home for a night!

Evie is still in her Sunday dress

This family arrived minutes after we did with three kids under 5. Evie was in heaven! The kids were immediate friends and we got to know the parents as well. I don't think camping would have been as fun without this family next to us. They were wonderful, friendly people. I thought for a while they were LDS because they just had that vibe. Turned out they weren't but they could be someday. :) They live right there on Whidbey Island and she's a SAHM while he works for the Navy with airplanes of all things! He and James had alot to talk about. It was such a wonderful blessing to have them as our neighbors. We got their contact information so we can go camping together again.

We did hotdogs and tin foil dinners. The tin foil dinners were fish fillets with dill and lemon inspired by River Cottage and a veggie hash of potato, zucchini, and carrots with Herbs de Provence. I'm sad I didn't get a picture of the finished product but it was tasty!

Evie is a fan!

Silly people!

The view straight up from the firepit

More silly people!

James did a great job prepping the fire for dinner and dessert

There was a massive tree sheltering our campsite. It would have taken three people to span it's trunk. This picture is zoomed in to where the branches started which was about 70 feet up from the ground.


Evie and the neighbor kids had a blast running around in the woods with headlamps on. It's a miracle no one broke a bone. 

Low tide at Double Bluff Beach

I got chills seeing these two Bald Eagles perched above the beach.



Evie had so much fun on her first camping trip and it was a huge success. We discovered that she sleeps like a log in a tent when she's been run down. The camping trip could not have been better.



0 comments: