Monday, August 16, 2010

It's a new day!

This weekend I read on Get Rich Slowly that sometimes people get stuck in a rut or a funk and can't get out. Sometimes this stems from not taking action and not having a disciplined day or life. Instead you don't do anything because you don't have a plan and because you don't have a plan you let things slip away from you. I've been feeling like this was me since Evie was born. When she was born I let myself drop as many things as I needed to in order to just be with Evie and learn to be a good mom. I didn't worry about cooking or cleaning or even going out and talking to people. I just was with Evie. This was a good strategy for a little while but then I got post-partum depression and instead of having activities to fall back on and wake me up, I just slipped further into the do nothing state of mind. I tried to freeze my life in order to deal with the depression and overwhelming idea of being a mom. I have since recovered from the depression but I haven't gotten my life back on track to where I want it to be. I am not used to juggling my life so I don't know where to start. After reading that article about needing some structure and in some cases and strict scheduled life in order to get out of the funk, I realized this is exactly what I needed!

So, this weekend I scheduled my life and this morning I started on that schedule. So far, it's been great!! By writing down everything I need/want to accomplish in a day I have freed my mind from worrying about all of them at once and have been able to just look and see what I need to do next. It's been a great day so far! Evie and I went to the park this morning where we met some other young moms with kids just older than Evie. They were very friendly and invited me to meet them for playgroups in the mornings. :) Evie had a blast swinging and playing in the sand and sliding on the slide. She wasn't really interested in the other kids because she couldn't keep up with them. They both were walking and I could tell Evie wanted to run after them but isn't quite there yet. Soon, sweetie, soon! After we got back she went down for a nap and according to my schedule I was supposed to clean at least one part of my home and then do pushups and situps. After that, I was free to read, crosstitch, or blog. :) I already feel more accomplished today than I have for a long time.

I can't believe I'm going to be 28 tomorrow! This birthday really has crept up on me because of James' crazy schedule and just being displaced here in California. I don't feel like my life is down here even though 6-8 months is a long time to live anywhere when you  have a little one. :) I'm going to indulge tomorrow and do something special just for myself. Any suggestions? I'm thinking massage or bubble bath. We are also going out to dinner anywhere I want. Sushi anyone? :)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday!!! And what a wonderful post! I think I've been in the same funk. I honestly can't wait for school to start so that I HAVE to be on a schedule. Good luck with sticking to it! Keep me posted on how it's going!

Evelyn @ Hanging by a Silver Lining said...

Mmmm! Sushi!! Is that why my life is slipping away from me? I'm not scheduled? That makes ALOT of sense actually. I need to be more diligent about writing plans and being disciplined. Thanks for this!