Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Peril of Driving in California

So, for years now I have believed that the people from Franklin County, ID were the worst drivers in the country. Everyone who lives in Logan, UT will agree with me. We learned to steer clear when we saw a license plate number that started with 1F.

However, since we've moved to California I have had two people try to run me off the road after I brake-checked them for tailing me. I've had one person try using the left-turn lane to pass me when I was going the speed limit, the actual speed limit, not 5 miles over or under. I've had several people try to start races with me at stoplights.

And today, when I was getting stamps at the grocery store, I came out and sat in the car with it running to get the AC cool while I stamped my letters and wrote addresses on them. I glanced in my side mirror and saw a man clearly waiting for me to pull out of the front row parking spot I had. He'd been there since I loaded Evie into the car and got in myself. A couple of minutes later I heard a honk and glanced up to see the man still sitting there glaring at me. Finally,  he gave up, gunned his engine and squealed away to let me know I'd ruined his day. There were a dozen other parking spots around me but because mine was front row, the man wanted to wait for 5 minutes instead of parking in another spot a few feet away.

Clearly, the tests you take to learn to drive in California are lacking. You have been fairly warned.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow! (Just FYI - I have 1F plates now. :) So sorry there are such ignorant boobs as drivers in Cali!!! Good luck surviving!

Anonymous said...

You're a transplant though. Don't you remember us being scared of them all the time in college?