Sunday, March 23, 2008

Vashon Island

James and I had a spur of the moment trip to Vashon Island on Saturday. It was a beautiful sunny day so we drove down to the ferry and rode over. Vashon is this little island that is basically all one town. Most of it is rural. People usually have 1-5 acre plots so there's alot of open space. I loved it! It made my heart ache to be back in the country again. Horse pastures everywhere, when you could catch a glimpse of them through the huge trees. We parked in the middle of town and walked around window shopping. The park had an Easter Egg hunt going on. It was fun to see the kids everywhere! They had a Farmer's market where they were selling meat, plant starts, and even unpasteurized milk. I was so tempted to get some. I miss the milk we got from the dairy when I was little. Here are some pictures to show what we did.


James and me on our way to the island. I love riding the ferry! Especially when we found out we didn't have to pay for the return trip.


This was the restaurant on Main St. we ate at. It was called The Hardware Store because it used to be a general store. It was one of the oldest buildings in town, built in the 1800's. The food was really good and we had a great view of the town from where we sat.

Some of the locals. :) This truck was great. A million years old and the back had straw bales in it and bamboo rails around the sides.

After we ate and wandered around town, we drove out to a little beach on the west side of the island. I was expecting to see open ocean and was a little disappointed that there was land within swimming distance of us. I really like this picture of James on the beach.

It was low tide to there was a lot of beach to walk on. I planned on going at low tide so we could see the seashells and animal life. There were a lot of clams buried in the sand but it was way too cold to dig for them. Tons of shells too.

The best part was when we walked back up the beach following a stream. We found this house with a bridge over the stream and a greenhouse and tree house! It was my dream come true. I wanted to go wandering all over but of course there were no trespassing signs all over. I'd post them if I lived there too. :)

the green house was glass and had an automatic air conditioner. I was drooling all over! I wanted to go inside and see what they were growing. It was perfect although a little too small for me.

This was a picture of Mt. Rainier I took on the way back from the island. It's really faint but it's right in the middle. That mountain is so much taller than the surrounding land it kind of hits you in the face when it's clear enough to see. It's so beautiful! We had a great day!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm so jealous! Remember all those days out at right hand fork? Sometimes I wish I had the time, the energy and the places to go wandering. For now, I'll content myself with wandering after Kirk wherever he runs off to! :) Looks like you had tons of fun, though. Enjoy Seattle. Some of us are still stuck indoors with snow outside. :)

Brittany said...

Oh! it looks so fun! I am glad you guys have so much fun just exploring Seattle. I really want to come visit sometime, but my year is just getting packed full of trips and stuff! Maybe sometime in July I could come. Robert probably can't but I might be able to.

Anonymous said...

Brittany, that would be so fun if you came and visited. I know we'd love to have both you and Robert up here. There are so many fun things to do and see in Seattle. We could definitely keep you busy all weekend long. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Livros e Revistas, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://livros-e-revistas.blogspot.com. A hug.

Jenn said...

hey! you probably don't remember me... but I found your blog through Lisa's. Glad to see you are doing well. Congrats on the one year anniversary!