This year has by far been the hardest of my life. It started with me in the middle of postpartum depression so deep I couldn't even think. I have been heavier this year than I ever have in my life thanks to all that baby weight that didn't come off with breast feeding, despite all the promises. James' job moved us 'temporarily' to Palmdale, CA (read: the land of Desolation) in April which is where we've been ever since. It's been a tough year. I even had a hard time writing our Christmas letter because there just wasn't enough I could put in there that sounded pleasant.
A few good things did come out of this year. Our little girl has grown up so fast and is such a dear! She loves the outdoors and books just like her mommy. She is very smart and loves learning new things. She's so patient and tolerant of all the crazy adventures her parents put her through. She's gone from being an immobile lump at the beginning of the year to crawling and walking and even running by the end of the year. She says several words and has started learning signs for other words. Her favorite foods are scrambled eggs, green beans, avocado, and olives. She's so much fun to play with and to have around and I'm proud to say I'm her mother.
It turns out Palmdale (Antelope Valley) does have a few good things to offer. The YMCA here is probably the biggest reason I'm happy being here. It's fabulous! I can't even imagine how it's going to be having to share a lap pool with swim classes and water aerobics when we get back. This YMCA here has inspired me to start thinking about getting a new YMCA built in Kirkland once we move home. I have also found a wonderful support group in a play group for Evie. These women are all so welcoming and friendly and happy. We ran into each other at the park one day and became instant friends. Now I hang out with them 2-4 times a week. Evie definitely loves playing with her new friends and has been missing them during the holidays. I'm going to miss these women so much when we move home, but they have shown me what a good play group can do for kids and I can't wait to start one in Kirkland. I also have to admit I love the almost perpetually sunny days here. Even when it's cold we can still count on it being dry and sunny so we can go anywhere we want to play. I'm missing the rain but sunny days are much easier to let Evie out in than rainy ones.
This new year comes with so many possibilities as usual. I'm just like everyone else out there. I get the itch for New Year's Resolutions and get all motivated to change and then dump most of my resolutions weeks after the new year starts. I really want to try again this year though because I do have so many things I need to improve on. So, without further delay, here are my New Years Resolutions for 2011:
1. I will lose weight this year and become healthy for Evie's sake as well as my own. I need to lose at least 80 pounds to be at my ideal weight although I would be happy with 50 this year. I've already started on this resolution by winning a month of personal training advice from a contest on www.getfitslowly.com.
2. I will take up the piano again as soon as we get moved home to Kirkland. I want to perfect at least two pieces this year. I love playing the piano and I've neglected that talent. I played a piece over Christmas at my parents house. First time I've touched a piano in almost a year and it was wonderful. I want Evie to see me practicing so she'll be more motivated to practice whatever instrument she takes up.
3. I will join a mom's hiking group in Seattle to help with my weight loss and to get Evie started early in her love to camping and hiking. I already have one picked out from meetup.com so this one shouldn't be too hard.
4. I will get my scripture reading and other gospel duties back on track this year. I've failed miserably in this area this last year because of the depression, the move, more depression, trips upon trips, and various other excuses that just don't cut it. I will try to read my scriptures daily, pray daily, go to the temple monthly, and have family home evening with Evie every week. I will also go visiting teaching every month.
5. I want to write at least weekly either here or in a physical journal. This I have also failed miserably at ever since I graduated from college. I need to start recording my fun times and my experiences with Evie and James. I want to be able to remember these early years with my precious little daughter before they are gone.
Well, that's it for now. Not too ambitious I hope. I don't want to overwhelm myself but I do want to make real changes this year. Feeling the motivation!!
Friday, December 31, 2010
Thoughts about 2010 and the New Year
Posted by Anonymous at 1:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
Your goals sound very similar to mine. We really need to get better at staying in touch so we can keep eachother going. Love ya lots!
Post a Comment