Monday, June 29, 2009

Random Musings

I can’t believe I neglected to mention that we moved this month! We decided we were too cramped in our little apartment so we went down to ask the office about availability for a two bedroom and to our surprise they had a bunch available in June. One particularly sounded good because they had just replaced all the fixtures in all the rooms and it had new carpet. We jumped on it and moved in June 6th! Our new place is a two bedroom, two bath apartment with much more space for storage and a whole room for Evelyn when she arrives. The new carpet is wonderful! It has beige with a slight pattern in it so dirt is invisible. One thing that drives me crazy about living in Seattle is how the ground is always damp so you are always tracking pine needles and leaves and sticks everywhere. Our last apartment would look like it needed to be vacuumed every day because as soon as it got cleaned something else would get tracked in. I love the dark flecks in the new carpet because it really hides the dirt. We have to remind ourselves that we still need to vacuum regularly even if we can’t see the dirt. :)

This month has been a crazy one with lots happening. After the move, James sister Elana moved in with us for a few weeks because the in-laws house is being overrun with wedding guests. I took my glucose test to see if I had gestational diabetes. Luckily I came back negative, thanks to mom and dad for good genes! Evelyn has calmed down a little in the past few weeks and hasn’t been moving nearly as much as she was before. I’m a little disappointed about that because I really loved feeling her move all the time. I actually miss her a lot when I realize she hasn’t moved for a while. As long as she keeps kicking at least once a day I’m not going to worry though. I’ve started having James touch my belly just to see if I can get her to react and get my fix for the day. :) Once Elana moves back out after the wedding we will get serious about reorganizing that room and decorating for Evelyn. I can’t wait to set up her little room and make it all pretty!

This past week was the first time in a long time that I’ve noticed my emotions going crazy with this pregnancy. This is surprising to me because my periods were always such emotional affairs for me I thought for sure I’d be an emotional wreck the entire pregnancy. I can only think of one other time when my emotions got the better of me during this pregnancy and it’s been a couple of months. Last week I really could tell I was emotionally insane and luckily I’m used to knowing how to handle it. I basically just keep my head down and try not to interact with people because everything I do and say is skewed when I’m like that. :) I can’t make important decisions when I’m in that state. I survived with no major blow-ups thank goodness!

I’m still having these worries that I’m going into this whole thing clueless and that motherhood is going to be a complete slap in the face. I hope I’m a good mom and that I can handle being in charge of another human being who relies on me completely. I’m so glad I have James here to help me out and keep me sane. I would not survive without him.I’ve had lots of time at work to read because we’ve been slow so I’ve been looking into some of these backyard homesteading books people talk about on their blogs. A few that I really liked are called Made From Scratch, Better Off, and Backyard Homesteading. It’s becoming a very popular thing to keep chickens and even bees in your backyard even in the middle of the city. I’ve been bitten by the bug and now I want to get 4-5 chickens for the eggs and a beehive to help pollinate my garden and to provide honey. It’s too bad we don’t have a yard of our own or I’d probably have ordered them already. I’m really interested in it. It turns out a lot of people around the area keep chickens. Searches on Craigslist bring up several people who are hatching chicks and selling them to become layers. There are even people who offer to make a coop for you as well. It’s probably a good thing we don’t have the room. Chickens, bees, and a new baby might be too much to handle all in one year.

3 comments:

Brittany said...

It is great to hear that everything is going so well! I have thought about getting a few chickens to save on eggs, but I think I will have my hands full with Kaylee and the boys.

I forgot to tell you welcome to your thrid trimester! The movements slow down, but it is a good thing because when they do move, it KILLS!

I will have to call sometime. Love you!!

Lisa said...

You are so cute! I love your comments! And you will be a GREAT mom! Don't worry. Just love the baby - the rest comes naturally. And by the way - we have a chicken coop at our new house. Silly.

me said...

You're going to end up cursing the fact that you can't see dirt on the floor. We have this horrible vinyl that hides dirt but with Imogen crawling everywhere it really shows up on her feet and knees when I need to wash the floors. 80% of the bacteria in your home comes in on the bottom of your shoes, so a shoes off policy is not only a great way of keeping your house healthier, it also means you clean less.

I can tell you're going to be a great mother, don't stress about it (although i guess the stress is natural, I was always really paranoid during pregnancy that the kid would end up hating me)
it's also important to trust your instincts and try to ignore people when they tell you you're doing something wrong (this happens a lot with first babies, people assume you don't know what you're doing)

Chickens are great. I wanted some at our last house in Christchurch but our landlords (nic's parents) wouldn't let us. I think it's secretly because nic's dad hates chickens. I was looking into permaculture, but i think it's probably too hard for me because i'm really bad at growing things.
but be warned, chickens smell really bad